In Part Two of the discussion on in-house training programs for HVACR technicians I touched on the subject of attitude and how it can affect a training session. In this segment I wanted to look at this subject not just from a technician’s perspective, but from an overall point-of-view.
So I decided to share something called the S.W.E.A.T Pledge.
It’s by Mike Rowe, and I think it addresses the subject of being a Technical Professional in a way that makes sense to all of us.
“The S.W.E.A.T. Pledge”
(Skill & Work Ethic Aren’t Taboo)
1. I believe that I have won the greatest lottery of all time. I am alive. I walk the Earth. I live in America. Above all things, I am grateful.
2. I believe that I am entitled to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. Nothing more. I also understand that “happiness” and the “pursuit of happiness” are not the same thing.
3. I believe there is no such thing as a “bad job.” I believe that all jobs are opportunities, and it’s up to me to make the best of them.
4. I do not “follow my passion.” I bring it with me. I believe that any job can be done with passion and enthusiasm.
5. I deplore debt, and do all I can to avoid it. I would rather live in a tent and eat beans than borrow money to pay for a lifestyle I can’t afford.
6. I believe that my safety is my responsibility. I understand that being in “compliance” does not necessarily mean I’m out of danger.
7. I believe the best way to distinguish myself at work is to show up early, stay late, and cheerfully volunteer for every crappy task there is.
8. I believe the most annoying sounds in the world are whining and complaining. I will never make them. If I am unhappy in my work, I will either find a new job, or find a way to be happy.
9. I believe that my education is my responsibility, and absolutely critical to my success. I am resolved to learn as much as I can from whatever source is available to me. I will never stop learning, and understand that library cards are free.
10. I believe that I am a product of my choices – not my circumstances. I will never blame anyone for my shortcomings or the challenges I face. And I will never accept the credit for something I didn’t do.
11. I understand the world is not fair, and I’m OK with that. I do not resent the success of others.
12. I believe that all people are created equal. I also believe that all people make choices. Some choose to be lazy. Some choose to sleep in. I choose to work my butt off.
On my honor, I hereby affirm the above statements to be an accurate summation of my personal worldview. I promise to live by them.
The thrust behind this is that Mike Rowe has developed a scholarship program for high school students who plan to pursue education in a trade or craft, and in order to apply ( a $15,000 education and training opportunity here), they have to sign the S.W.E.A.T Pledge.
While I like all 12 of the points that Rowe makes in the pledge, 4, 6, 9, 11 and 12 are my favorites.
Learn From Yesterday…..Live For Today…..Look Forward To Tomorrow